Monday, July 26, 2010

Visions of a Leading Man

Only a few short weeks left in the Completing Him Challenge. I am going to really miss this challenge when it is over. This weeks challenge is Support his vision.  Discuss with your husband his vision for your family. Where does he see your family in 1 year, 5 years, & 10 years? Then share how you let your husband lead.





Ephesians 5:23-24-For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives submit to their husbands in everything.

Letting Jason lead is so hard for me sometimes most of the time. I am a typical type A personality. Wanting to be totally in control of everything and everything being the way I think it should be. Over the last few years I have had to really work on this in our marriage (umm...still working I should say).

I did a Denise Glen Bible study called "Wisdom For Mothers." In this study she says that if your husband is ok with you being the leader then you need to squeeze behind him no matter what and let him lead. This really opened my eyes to things that I just take over and do. Never even thinking about considering Jason's opinion.

Soon after this study I did Elizabeth George's "A Wife After God's Own Heart." This is what I am striving (stumbling) to be each day in my marriage. If you have not done this study before I suggest you pick it up very soon. It will transform your view as your role as a wife.

With Jason being gone so much sometimes it just seems easier for me to take charge and do what I think is right. Or do what I want. Never even running it by him 1st.
My solution to this has become for my answer to be "let me talk to my husband about that." No matter what the "that" might be. I now try & remember to check with him even when I am planning a day with friends or an evening out with my girl friends even when I know he won't be home. Just a quick conversation with him lets me feel like he is leading our family.

There are so many other areas of our marriage that we are still working on me taking a step back and letting him lead. I am really praying through my control issues. That is what it all comes down to in the bigger picture. Me wanting to be in control All.the.time.

And as crazy at it might sound(in 2010) I really do want him to be the leader. Not in a doormat wife kind of way, but as him being the head of our household Biblical way.  I just wonder if I would be so willing to let him lead if it was regarding a big decision that would change our lives. Until we have to come to that type of decision I can pray that I will let him lead.

Because Jason was off on a work trip to Las Vegas for most of last week I wasn't able to cook for him. So last weeks challenge of cooking your husbands favorite meal and the bonus of making his favorite foods all week will also be continuing into this week.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you shared the quote about squeezing behind your husband - what a beautiful picture of making sure you are allowing your husband to lead! LOVE it! I love Elizabeth George too! She has helped me so much! Great job with the challenge!
    Much Love,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to miss this challenge as well! Blessings on your marriage!!

    Brittany @ The High-Heeled Housewife

    ReplyDelete