Monday, December 13, 2010

Resting

December can be a month where we are burning the candle at both ends. It seems there is never enough time to finish our to do list. And there is hardly a day where everything gets checked off. Why do we do so much?

I know this is me.  A lot of the "stuff" I am trying to fit into my days is fun stuff. But it is still stuff that makes me want to rush from this to that. Which doesn't really make it very fun for any of us.

Courtney at Women Living Well asked this question today: 
Are you experiencing the green pastures, the quiet waters and the restoration of your soul that Psalm 23 speaks of from resting with your Shepherd?

I have to admit there are times throughout the year that my quiet time with God is just one more thing to check off my list. I pray a usual short pray for those close to me and for the day ahead and then usually just read the Proverb that coordinates with the day of the month. Easy, check that off my to do list.

But I am pretty sure this is not the type of quiet soul restoring time that God's word speaks of.

When I catch myself in this kind of rut I make an effort to spend more time in prayer, more time sitting quietly listening for God, and more time reading his word and actually paying attention to the words and not just reading to check it off my list.   However, usually a few weeks later my to do list looks like it will take more time then hours in a day and my quiet time turns back into a quick something to check off my to do list.

I should clarify if this is you; reading your Bible in any amount every day and praying is better then doing nothing at all. And reading a Proverb a day for each day of the month is a great way to get a little bit of God's word into your heart. If you are starting out and don't want to feel overwhelmed a Proverb a day is great!! Proverbs are filled with such great wisdom for life it is definitely a great daily read.

For me though I know when I am only reading a Proverb a day it is because I have read them several times (I feel like I know them...totally not true) I am not really letting the words that God speaks soak into my soul. It is just a check off my list.

Christmas would be one of those times where my quiet time could turn into a hurry check it off the list and get to whatever is listed next. 

This Christmas season I have really made a commitment to make Christmas about Jesus. Both for me and my family and it really has been so wonderful.

I have been reading Ann's from A Holy Experience Advent ebook and this has truly helped me to experience the green pastures, quiet waters, and restore my soul. Every day when I get up to read that days page I am letting God's word reach me. And then Ann's words she speaks after each days reading further encourage, restore, and bring His word home.

Although, my days still get hectic and a lot of days there are things left on my to do list...during this years Christmas season I am letting the meaning really sink in. And help to lead me by green pastures and restore my soul.

This weeks Peace on Earth Challenge is:
 Pull out your calendar and SCHEDULE a night where you will go to bed very very early. Take your Bible with you to bed and read in bed for at least 5 minutes. Read in Isaiah 7:14, Micah 5:2, Jeremiah 23:5, and Isaiah 53. These are prophecies that were fulfilled by the birth and life of Jesus. Get extra blankets for a warm nights rest, pray God gives you deep rest and that no one wakes you. Then turn out the lights and sleep. I pray that when you wake, you face the new day of Christmas stress with extra strength and vigor.

With so much still on our to do lists it can be so hard to just go to bed. To put it off until tomorrow. But I encourage you to take this challenge this week. And by going to bed super early you can get an early start to the following day. I am sure after a great nights sleep you will feel peaceful about the day to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment