Monday, December 6, 2010

Peaceful December

Again the wonderful Courtney from Women Living Well is hosting a challenge. This time it is for the month of December and it is Peace on Earth Challenge.

A lot of times our Decembers fill up with so many obligations and there is already so much to be done that December can be anything but a peaceful month. Most of the things we do are for our enjoyment; Christmas parties with friends and family and some times even for work. Cookie baking and craft making. But we also tend to over book in December to fit everyone and every thing in.  

We don't want to be left out and we don't want to leave anyone out so we keep saying yes.

Then there is the other part we put on our self about making Christmas perfect. We stress about the decorations, the food, adding in fun and meaningful Christmas traditions, and then of course there is always the perfect gifts for everyone on our mile long list...at this point we are saying to ourselves "after all Christmas is for giving."

Amongst all of this a lot of times we get so stressed that we completely forget all the things we should actually be focusing on. All the things we do to mean well end up only half of what we wanted them to be. Decorations are no fun if you have to have it perfect and your children can't enjoy them too, traditions are no fun when the mommy trying to set the traditions is grumpy because no one is doing it the way she wanted, and presents are fun, but if they cause more stress make it simpler for yourself. (I am totally writing to myself here!) And really how much of what we do is all in trying to keep up with everyone else?

To make my December a Peace on Earth I am taking Courtney's challenge serious. I am trying not to add a bunch of extra into our time. I want to spend time in God's word this month both with my family and quietly on my own. I want to spend time with my family enjoying each other's company doing fun things, but also just relaxing together.  And I want to savor every moment of this busy month with peace and joy.I want to get to December 26th and think that was a wonderful Christmas season.

The 1st thing Courtney asked us to do was to write out 1 Peter 5:7 at the top of our December calendar.  "Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you."

Then the 2nd was get a candle and light it every day through the month of December. We did this during the making your home a haven challenge as well. It really is so nice to smell the candle burning and have a peaceful reminder to pray without ceasing.

The challenge for this week is:
As the warmth of Christmas has now begun to enter your home with the influx of decorations, cookie baking and friends, take out your calendar and SCHEDULE a night where you will take a warm refreshing bubble bath. I'll give you more details on what to include with this bubble bath. But until then, one main thing will be your Bible. Read the story of the birth of Jesus in Matthew 1, 2 and Luke 1,2. 

So time for a confession: I really don't enjoy baths. I know this is totally shocking(hopefully we can still be friends). The bath water gets cold too quickly and my skin gets all wrinkly. So really for me I don't enjoy sitting in the bath. But I will happily wear warm, comfy jammies and make a delicious cup of coffee while relaxing on the couch reading God's word about the birth of Jesus. For me this is much more relaxing then a soak in the bath.  But if you are like many I hope you will take this challenge this week and take a bubble bath.

2 comments:

  1. I am over from Women Living Well. I am also doing the Dec Peace challenge. I want a peaceful Christmas (really a peaceful home all of the time). I look forwad to following you.

    Sweet Blessings~
    Jenifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Im visiting from WLW,
    I am so looking to intentionally seeking peace in this season when I usually lose it!!
    Enjoy your couch time- sounds absolutely fab!
    In His joy,
    C

    ReplyDelete