Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pie Crust

My new thing to learn for the month of November was pie crust. I have to congratulate myself and say this was a big success.  Even if I didn't try a completely traditional pie crust.

I made 2 different types both going with pumpkin pie. I thought it was only fair to taste them both against the same type of pie. I made a shortbread press in pie crust (martha stewart recipe). This is nothing like what you would expect a traditional pie crust to be. It was however good and like a shortbread cookie bottom.

The other crust I made was a cream cheese pie crust. This was much more like a traditional pie crust with a few change ups in the recipe.  But you still had to chill the crust and then roll it out before placing in your pie pan.


Makes one 9-inch crust
  • 2 teaspoons cold water
  • 1 teaspoon cold cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 ounces (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 4 ounces cold cream cheese, cut into small pieces 
Directions:
  1. Combine water and vinegar in a small bowl. Combine flour and salt in another bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut butter and cream cheese into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces remaining.
  2. Add water mixture to dough in a slow, steady stream, stirring, until mixture just begins to hold together. (Alternatively, pulse ingredients in a food processor.) Turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap, and wrap. Press dough into a disk using a rolling pin. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour or overnight. (Dough can be frozen for up to 1 month; thaw before using.)
  3. Roll dough into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim edge, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Turn overhang under so that edge is flush with rim. Flute edge. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
Read more at Marthastewart.com: Cream Cheese Pie Crust - Martha Stewart Recipes
This crust was so delicious and I am sure will go great with any type of pie. I am looking to try in on an apple pie at some point. My husband loved this and said my pie was exactly like you would imagine the best pumpkin pie should taste. His description was also that the crust wasn't as dry and flaky as a regular crust. He preferred this over the drier flakier crust. And so do I. I didn't take any pictures of the finished pie. But it was a yummy!

All in all my November new thing was a big success and I now have a great pie crust recipe to add to my recipe box to use for years to come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment