Tuesday, February 3, 2009

15 Months


15 Months and growing like a weed!!! Today Jake is 15 months old. I can’t believe how fast time goes and how big he gets every time I blink my eyes.
We will start first with the doctor update. He had his 15 month check up today(unusual for it to be directly on the day that he turns the month). Of course the doctor said he was the the cutest and smartest little boy she had ever seen and had the best personalitly…well if I was the doctor that is what I would have said. But we all know that is not how it goes. Especially with Jake’s stranger and seperation anxiety she probably couldn’t even see his adorable personality between the screaming, “nos” and pushing her away. However, I know he is the smartest and cutest baby ever. Dr. Gaines did say he looks great and of course no need to worry about the walking (if he isn’t taking steps by 18 months then she will be concerned). We talked about his other skills, like cruising (or the 3 steps he had taken the week before), talking, & understanding. He weighs 23 pounds 2 ounces which is in the 25th percentile not the biggest kid on the block, but they aren’t freaking out about his weight any more…thank goodness for that. He is 30 ¾ inches tall also the 25th percentile and his head is in the 50th percentile so right where he should be for his growth. He has gained a little over 2 pounds and grown a little over an inch. He did have to get his shots…he was crying more because the nurse was touching him then he was about the shots so it didn’t seem to bother him too much. Dr. Gaines said not to worry about his food intake. We have control over what foods he gets, but he has control over what and how much he puts in his mouth. So keep offering him veggies, but he may not eat them. That over the course of a couple weeks he gets all the nutrients he needs…no reason for concern it is totally normal at this age. And she said not to be surprised if he likes it for 3 days and then you give it to him again and he acts like he is being poisened. Great…glad to know he is right there with the rest of his age group…PICKY!!!
Onto new things: oh did you see my side note up there. He did take 3 steps on Jan. 22nd and has taken a few more here and there. He won’t walk if we tell him to, but he forgets that he is pretending not to know how and will sometimes take 5 or 6 steps to get to a toy he wants. But nothing consistent. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that he is totally walking by Feb. 21st. We leave that day for Savannah and I can’t imagine him crawling around a hotel floor…GROSS!!! Not to mention he doesn’t really like to be held so during my sister’s wedding reception it will be really hard to put him down if he isn’t walking. Keep your fingers crossed for us. Because the doctor asked at his appointment how many words he was using ( I had no idea at the appointment…genious baby remember so I said a lot). But then I got to thinking about it and he says about 15-20 words. Which is great…oh by the way sign language counts too so his signs are in there as well.
He has terrible seperation anxiety. He SCREAMS and clings to me any time I try to give him to anyone. Unless he has been around you for a little while. This makes it lots of fun on Sundays when I leave him in the nursery. They say he is doing fine, but when I drop him off he screams and I have to literally peal him off of me. Of course when I come back to get him he is fine and either rocking or playing. Being that I did work in child care for so long I know that 9 times out of 10 the child is fine before the parent even makes if out of the room. So this gives me comfort in leaving him. Hoping this phase doesn’t last too long. I suppose that is all for the latest update!!

1 comment:

  1. Um, what sister's wedding reception in Savannah? Something we should know about?

    ReplyDelete