Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Turn It Off!!!

Next week is National Screen-Free week-April 18th-24th. Formerly known as Turn off your TV week. The campaign for a commercial free childhood has taken the next step and named this week Screen-Free. Realizing that most people spend as much time watching tv as they do on their computer or using their smart-phone for more then the phone.


I am so excited to participate in Screen-Free week. Giving my family a chance to detox from the amount of tv and computer time we have been indulging in. 

I was THAT mom before I had Jake and while I was pregnant. Saying my child would never watch tv. Umm...that lasted for about the 1st year of his life. And from then we can say that life got in the way and soon it was ok for him to watch a little bit of tv and a movie here and there.

I am embarrassed to say that over this past winter we have been watching WAY TOO much tv. It was so cold & yucky outside that tv was just easy. We would snuggle on the couch and watch tv, then we would do some playing and crafting and soon tv was back on. While I was making dinner it was easier to just turn on the tv. Not to mention that at 3 Jake has found a few favorite shows and asks to watch them.

Then there is  the computer time for me. I get on in the morning (while Jake watches tv). Then durning Jake's quiet time I am on again. I usually have about an hour and a half after Jake goes to bed and before Jason gets home that I am on the computer. But then after only a brief time when Jason gets home I am back on the computer. It has become WAY TOO much!!

And don't get me started about twitter, facebook, and email updates coming straight to my phone. It has all become TOO MUCH!!!

We are taking the plunge and going Screen-Free April 18th-24th. I am hoping this will be what I need to fill our time with so much more and continue this way after Screen-Free week has ended. 

We will be filling our time with lots of fun outdoor activities and free play. (since the weather has been so nice here lately we have been outside way more, but tv is still too much) With this being Easter week we will be spending time as a family focusing on Easter. Making Easter crafts and enjoying fun Easter themed learning activities. I am going to spend the time when Jake goes to bed to read more. When Jason gets home this will be our time together to reconnect. I am sure there will be lots of talking and connecting without the tv to distract us.

If you are looking for ideas of things to fill your time during Screen Free week check out Simple Organic. So what do you say...Are you going to take the challenge of Screen Free week? Leave a comment and let me know your family is participating. And I would love to see what things you are planning to replace your screen time with.

Edited to Add: Simple Kids has a list of 20 things to do during Screen-Free week. If you need more ideas to fill your time while the tv & computer are turned off. 

Because next week is screen-free and Easter I will be taking the week off from blogging. So take the time and turn off your computer too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment