Thursday, July 30, 2009

21 Months


Well our little man is turning into just that at the age of 21 months. He definitely is showing lots of personality. He is still pretty shy when strangers talk to him, but when he is around people he knows well he is such a chatter box. I can't even think of all the new words and phrases he says. It seems that new words pop into his vocabulary daily. This month he did start saying "wow" and usually says it in semi-context when things are really cool or surprising. It is so cute to listen to him and Caleb carry on conversation like they are grown...responding to what each other says. And sometimes words that Jake says and aren't really understandable Caleb will try to translate asking Jake if he said this or this. They are going to be the best of friends(but really they don't have a choice in the matter :)

He still loves to be in the pool or atleast close by. Every time we get to mom & Mike's he says "pool." Not sure what we are going to do once the pool is closed I am sure it will take him a few times to get used to the fact that we can't swim any more until next summer.

I have started trying to introduce the potty to him. Not full potty training, but he tries to go when he wakes up in the morning at night before bed and right before he gets in the bath. However, he does tell me all day long that he has to go pee-pee. This week I have been putting him on the potty almost every time he tells me this. Out of 10 times he usually actually goes once. I am not sure what to do in this regard. I am afraid if I tell him no when he says he has to go that it will confuse him...because what if he actually does have to go and I am telling him no. But most of the time he just thinks it is fun to sit there for a few minutes and then get down. I know there are a lot of you who read the blog and don't comment. I would love for you to comment on any potty training suggestions you might have. Stories of how you did and what worked for your child. I am looking for any and all tips/tricks. We probably won't try full potty training until the beginning of Sept. We have a beach trip planned the end of August and I don't want to be in the middle of wearing underwear at the beach...it just seems much easier to do diapers while we are there. But once we are back we are going to try the whole potty training deal. PLEASE COMMENT or email me about your experience with potty training...I have never done this before and would love all the help.

Jake's food eating has gotten a little better. He at least tries a bite of a vegetable about every other day. And he has started eating salad...of course it has dressing on it, but he used to suck the dressing off and spit the lettuce out, but now he actually eats it...not that ice burg lettuce has any nutritional value it is usually mixed with romaine and spinach leaves so he gets a few nutrients from the whole thing. Oh well it is a start.

I guess that is all for the 21 month update. 3 Months until his big 2nd birthday. I am in the middle of the party planning stage and pretty excited about what we are doing for birthday number 2!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa! Only a few more months and he'll be TWO! :) Time goes by so quickly, doesn't it?

    I wanted to share a past post that I wrote about potty training with you: http://metropolitanmama.net/2008/06/a-potty-training-story/. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Keep in mind I wasnt able to potty train Jackon until he was 3 but we were training him at 2 until his blood became the issue. He was ready and I think that is key, so you're right in taking him every time he asks. If you want to reward him. Only reward him when he actually potties. You will find though that it may make him "sit" on the potty just for a treat so do it sparingly. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna post my e-mail on the blog, but just in case it's maceyleigh@hotmail.com
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I just made up a new email address for the book club just in case.

    readwithgirlfriends@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, nice to see you're getting comments! With Nicholas, he did the same thing. Just sat there. My mom suggested pouring some warm water on his "pee-pee" to get him to go. Worked like a charm. He thought it was fantastic, and it only took a few tries to get him used to the idea. Pull-ups were a great concept, too!
    Love you and good luck.

    ReplyDelete