Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pre-K

This week Jake started pre-k...my little boy is now spending 6 1/2 hours away at school every day. He was unbelievable excited to start school. We were counting down the days, buying school supplies, meeting his teachers and he could not wait. I tried to hide my sadness behind his excitement. I wanted him to be excited. This was an important step for us. Him being away from me ALL day(or really me spending my days without him home). He could not wait. Of course the night before came with some 1st day jitters. He was concerned I wouldn't walk him in. His school offers a kiss and go line...you pull up and the teachers are standing there to get your child out of the car. He at first was excited for this, but the night before he had to make sure I would walk him in. And tell his teachers he didn't want to do the kiss and go line. The morning of school his excitement was back. We walked into his class found his cubby, put his stuff in and then found his seat.




However, as soon as I began to walk out of the room he started crying. The whole time I was thinking to myself...don't blink tears will flow. Him crying made it even harder for me. After one last kiss I was out the door and not a moment too soon I could no longer hold the tears. Thankfully I made it all the way back to the car before totally losing it. I ended up needing to bring him a pair of socks back to the school...so an hour later I was back up there and could see him happily eating snack with the rest of his class. Thankfully he looked to be enjoying his day. I counted down until I could go pick him up and hear all about his 1st day. He said he had a great day and liked his class. As the week has gone on we have had some "I don't want to go to school," nights and more crying mornings. But he has also met some new friends and finally by the end of the week isn't crying anymore at drop off(he still wants me to walk him in though).

Can it really be that he is old enough to be in school? I am sure as soon as I blink my boy will be heading off to college...but for now I will secretly count down to school breaks when he is home with us all day again. And also enjoy the precious and fleeting one on one time I have with Lily while Jake is away.

No comments:

Post a Comment